Monday, 2 August 2010

Blueberry chocolate cake


I have been experimenting a lot lately with different recipes especially ones that have very little sugar and fat. So yesterday I made oat, date and lemon slice and also experimented with miniature baked spring rolls, both of which are delicious. I will post the recipes this week some time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are trying to lose weight then there is no reason at all why you should have to miss out on delicious food, it just means getting a little more creative which is all part of the fun anyway. This morning Aviva and I made this vegan blueberry chocolate cake, I am not a vegan but it is something I am seriously thinking about with increasing regularity.

This cake is so great because it has no refined sugar or oil, refined sugar tends to make me really lethargic so I do avoid it, instead I make date syrup which is done very simply by boiling dates in water and then blending them. It is very sweet so I use it sparingly in recipes.

My recipe was slightly different from the original because I only had frozen blueberries, so instead of putting fresh blueberries on top like the recipe suggested, I topped mine with a blueberry coulis made from 2 T of date syrup, 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries and the juice of one lemon and then just blending it all.

Chocolate Blueberry Cake

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (white whole wheat preferred)
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground chia seeds or flax seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup date syrup, maple syrup, or other liquid sweetener
1 cup blueberries (for serving)
additional syrup or agave nectar to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, chia (or flax) and salt. In blender, combine water, 1/2 cup blueberries, and balsamic vinegar and blend until smooth.

Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the syrup and the blueberry mixture. Stir until completely mixed. Pour into an oiled 9-inch round cake pan.

Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before inverting onto serving platter.

Serve with blueberries on top, drizzled with additional syrup or agave. (I recommend agave for drizzling.)

Servings: 8

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 144 calories, 10 calories from fat, 1.2g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 217.1mg sodium, 204mg potassium, 33.6g carbohydrates, 4.4g fiber, 14.9g sugar, 3.6g protein, 2.2 points.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails