Sunday, 13 June 2010

The dress up box











It's every girls little dream. A dress up box complete with tutu, her mothers wedding veil, various hats belonging to grandmother and an assortment of shoes, and maybe if shes lucky a feather boa, all held together in a wooden chest.


I didn't have a dress up box and neither did my daughter. When I was a child dressing up was not really high on the priorities list for my mother, she didn't even have the emotional energy to read to us let alone for other creative pursuits but that's o.k because instead I fostered a life long passion for reading instead. And as for my own daughter well fashion of any sort has never appealed to her. She has never shown an interest in the way she looks, I can't even recall a time I've seen her look at herself in the mirror :)


However at the age of twenty six I have decided to create a dress up box for myself!!


It is going to house my many scarves, sari's, pashminas and other thrift shop accessories finds that I seem to come home with.


I'm so in love with scarves at the moment. They make any outfit complete and they are so versatile. You can wind them through your hair, use them as a belt or tie them cutely around your neck. I am a big fan of wearing a pashmina and putting it around my head and shoulders and pairing them with a huge pair of Sunglasses so I can saunter down to the Library or local shops and pretend to a be an incognito celebrity LOL


But seriously they look fantastic with everything, it's really just how to wear them. I might write a post on this too. For under a dollar from any thrift shop they can make a plain outfit look amazing.


I'm becoming a much bigger fan of hats too! I have the cutest selection of beret's that will be making it into the box as well. My proper Lady's hats, have to stay safely in their hat boxes but the other ones will certainly be going in my new chest.


So on the coldest of the winter days (and it's been raining her everyday for well over a month) I can pull out a french lace vintage scarf or sequined beret and add some much needed colour to my day.


I'll post some photos of it all soon, I lent my camera to a friend over a month ago and am yet to get it back.


Hope you had a restful weekend!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails