Wednesday, 4 March 2009

The book of Ruth


Tonight as my darling daughter is sleeping I sit quietly in my favourite armchair reading again the book of Ruth while I listen to worship music.


The book of Ruth has always been special to me. Just this last Christmas I made my husband a plaque of sorts to go on the wall which is from Ruth 1:16


"Entreat me not to leave you, or to return from following after you, For where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. And where you die, I will die and there I will be buried. May the Lord do with me and more if anything but death parts you from me."


When Ruth spoke these words to Naomi she meant them! And although my situation is different
I certainly mean them too. My husband and I are from two very different countries and so I also feel it has special meaning when I promised those words to him.


In the bible study I am currently doing it asks these two questions:


6. Why is Ruth willing to leave her home? Think of the difficulty of travel and communication at this time. Put yourself in her place. How committed is she to Naomi?


7. Ruth clearly embodies the sense of clinging to someone in affection and loyalty that we saw in the definition of cleave. List the ways she says she will cling to Naomi.


This study is about marriage but it uses Ruth's faithfulness, love and perseverance as shining examples. Ruth was determined to give Naomi one hundred percent of herself, to remain obedient even when she didn't understand why and to follow her no matter how far.


This was her mother in law, yet many women don't even give thier husbands half that respect. I have had many women and role models I have looked up to in life but I think Ruth really tops that list.


Another reason I love the book of Ruth? I just love a happy ending :)

1 comment:

java girl said...

Bonnie,

Ruth is possibly my favorite book in the Bible and has been since I was about fifteen. God knew my path long before I did ;O)

The verse that I love to read and think on is Ruth 3:18

She replied, "Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out, for the man will not rest but will settle the matter today."

I love that Boaz was a man who would not REST until the matter at hand was settled. That is huge HUGE in todays society.

Thank you again for your sweet and kind words you said in your other post. They really do encourage me because sometimes I just don't "feel" joyful!

God bless you and your family this day!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails