Saturday, 14 February 2009

Natural cleaners


I used to be one of the biggest consumers of chemical cleaners. A few years ago my shopping trolley would consist of glass cleaners, floor cleaner and bathroom cleaners-anyway you get the picture. Last year I came to realize that the only one who profited from these chemical cleaners were the manufacturers and they were laughing- all the way to the bank! Meanwhile I was literally pouring money down the sink. And on top of that was exposing my precious family to chemicals that I couldn't even pronounce the name of.


I must admit I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to natural cleaners. My first information came from reading a post on Rhonda Jean's blog 'Down to earth'. This post has pretty much every recipe you could ever want for a cleaner.My Other inspiration comes from a book I found at a thrift shop 'For Goodness sake!' by Merren Parker. This book has everything from how to make your own yeast,to eliminating household pests to making your own cosmetics. I have found it invaluable.


I was amazed at how well white vinegar cleans! from my floors to my silver, I have never had my house so clean! I used to spend five dollars on floor cleaner a month now I would spend that same amount on white vinegar in six months, and I know that it is not harming my family.


My little project over the weekend has been to make up lavender bags whilst it is not a cleaner it is still so lovely to open a drawer and have all my clothes smelling sweetly of lavender.


Lavender bags


Lavender flowers (dried), 1 cup

Thyme and mint (dried) 1/2 cup of each

1 tsp cloves

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

3 tsp orris root (optional)


Mix well together and sew into bags. This mixture deters moths and smells lovely.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails