Monday, 2 February 2009

Learning to sew





When I got married a year ago I didn't know how to garden ,sew or knit. Late last year I learnt the basics of knitting and since then I knitted a scarf (although not particularly well) and have now progressed to knitting a little hat for my next baby. And the knitting has been OK really, although slow it is quite basic. Sewing for me is another matter however.



In the last year I have sewed a pair of curtains for my kitchen, I have finished 3/4 of an ankle length skirt and last night I sewed my first apron which I managed to do without a pattern which made it all the more of a surprise when it turned out a success! for many people an apron would be nothing, something they could whip up in less than an hour but for me it was so exciting. This morning I am going to sit down with my daughter and show her how to make and sew some head coverings which are very basic.



Whilst I was sewing I started thinking about all the other mending jobs,preserving and gardening I have to do today and starting wondering just how women who work have the time to get anything done. And then I remembered that just a few short years ago I was that woman. If a shirt lost a button I would throw it away, gardening to me was just a way to ruin my manicure and baking was something only to be done on special occasions.



And now baking bread is something to be done on a daily basis and something I find great joy in doing, the garden appears to be my second home and the sewing is slowly, slowly getting there. Hopefully by this time next year I will be even making clothes for my daughter and myself.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails