Wednesday, 11 February 2009

Is it still summer?

The rain is still coming down for the third day in a row. My tomatoes remain unripened on the vine due to lack of sun, the washing drips forlornly on the line and whole world seems to have turned a shade of grey.

But inside is a different story! To shake off my dreary mood we are playing colourful Portuguese music and knitting beautiful, bright scarfs in preparation for winter. Black bean chili is bubbling away on the stove for dinner tonight and the smell of corn bread wafts through the house. Aviva has now retreated to the living room to work on her maths but still the festive spirit continues-I can hear her whistling and singing away as she does her subtraction.

Part of today will be spent on trawling the Internet and my cooking books for the perfect valentines day dinner. It makes it hard when I am a vegetarian and my husband is not but I am determined to come up with something gorgeous. We celebrate Shabbat on a Friday night so it will mean spending two nights cooking big meals. We are not Jewish however after reading this article from Above Rubies I became so inspired to make this beautiful tradition a part of our week.

My plans for the rest of the day include organising our wardrobe, doing some mending and doing some baking for our home school art session that we do jointly with some friends. I am about to start making a big pot of minestrone soup for lunch as we haven't had soup for so long as it is been far too hot! I am enjoying our faux winter break :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails