Wednesday, 14 January 2009

Roughing it

Tomorrow we leave for five days of exciting christian fellowship and teaching. Our family has been looking forward to this for a year now and it is finally here! The downside of it is that we are staying in tents. For many women this would not be a problem but I am most certainly not those women.

I like being able to plug in my hair dryer and turn on the light in the middle of the night. I love that I can talk with my husband when the lights go out and not have half the campsite hear what I'm saying. Most of all I love being able to have a shower in privacy and not sneak quietly along the wet grass at the crack of dawn to the showers so that I don't run into someone seeing me in my pyjamas and dressing gown (as modest as they may be). Nope I am just not the outdoors type.

This fact is often obvious to friends and family when in the past they have made the mistake of suggesting to my shock and horror a bush walk! I love the idea in theory-beautiful native trees, the singing of birds and the absolute beauty of the world that our God has created. But in theory wearing track pants, getting sweaty and slipping in the mud is just not my idea of a good time. However show me a library or a museum and I am one happy girl.

I'm probably not as bad as I make out after all this afternoon I'm going blueberry picking with a friend. However knowing that my car (and the prospect of home) are mere minutes away sure does make the difference for me.

However my darling husband and I have had very different childhoods because for three months every year his family would stay on a mountain for three months (with bears and wolves and all sorts of things that can eat you!) tenting with his family. This makes me so, so grateful that I live in a country that harbours no poisonous (or people eating) creatures. So this trip is just a walk in the park for him.

I have decided to try to be excited for the children's sake and I have always been a strong believer that something is usually what you make of it and so I am going to make this a positive, exciting adventure that the girls will hopefully remember fondly for years to come! I am just going to be grateful that I don't have to cook over a gas BBQ or use an outdoor toilet!

p.s sorry if there are multiple grammar and spelling problems, the spellcheck has decided not to work today.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails