Thursday, 15 January 2009

Isn't that brainwashing?

Yesterday I went for dinner at a friends house and that friend had other friends there as well, Somehow the discussion got onto families with large amounts of children and when I started talking about how this was the desire of my heart I had one women remark to me that I would need lots of bedrooms.I told her that many of my friends with large amounts of children have only three or four bedrooms and she was shocked at what would happen when they were teenagers. I told her that many home schooled teenagers from large families don't have huge issues over personal space and many of the girls I know prefer to spend their time at home acquiring homemaking skills and helping with the smaller children. She then told me "that's obvious brainwashing" as some of the others nodded their heads in agreement.

Brainwashing? was she serious? indeed she was. She didn't think the fact that many young girls who dressed just like they do on MTV was brainwashing nor was the fact the promiscuous behaviour is actually encouraged amongst pre teens. After all that's normal behaviour isn't it? For a male isn't being horribly drunk to the point of unconsciousness just a rite of passage for a sixteenth birthday? As long as they have enough space and privacy to do what they want behind closed doors then they will be just fine.

The culture of young girls in this country makes me want to cry. I see week after week teenage girls turning up to church in tight jeans and singlets, in their spare time they read 'Dolly' and 'Girlfriend' magazine all included with helpful articles on contraception and how to 'snag a boyfriend' the pages are filled with girls in tiny bikinis in the arms of a muscular youth, another favourite of these girls is YouTube where they can watch secular music videos where women dressed just like prostitutes sing about needing a man to fulfill their sexual desires. But again this isn't brainwashing.It's all normal, healthy behaviour for a teenager. It's what we should just expect.

She ended her little spiel with "as long as they're happy that's all that matters".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails