Sunday, 2 November 2008

Making chutney



I spent a lovely afternoon yesterday baking and making chutney, my darling husband made several loaves of bread which had the neighbours children over here in a second. I usually don't do much housework on a Sunday just the bare minimum but as I find cooking and baking so much fun and not tiresome I tend to do some on a Sunday.

It was such a beautiful afternoon yesterday. we enjoyed having some friends over to pray with us. And they impressed again that they feel that the Lord will make our house a place of great fellowship and prayer-I pray that their impressions come to pass here. May we hear many voices together in worship here. I also spent some time in our garden marvelling at the blessings of the Lord- our beans,cabbages and lettuces are rapidly growing!

I found a lovely recipe for chutney in a book called 'Taste of life' by Julie Stafford. Her recipes are so healthy and cut out alot of unnecessary sugar.

date and apple chutney

4 apples peeled,cored and grated
500g dates,chopped
2 onions finely chopped
1 cup raisins,sultanas or apricots
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 cups orange juice
6 whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 cups wine or cider vinegar

Place ingredients in a large saucepan and bring slowly to the boil over a low heat, simmer for one hour or until a thick,soft consistency.Spoon into sterilised jars and seal when cold.The flavour will improve if left for at least a week before using.

I used white vinegar instead of wine vinegar and replaced the allspice with extra ginger and cinnamon.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails