Sunday, 4 July 2010

Winter soup

I am a big fan of soup, I cook it all the time and in fact it has been a big help in helping me lose weight. It is really cheap to make and I love that you can make it by cleaning out the contents of your fridge! I eat soup nearly everyday for lunch, I make it in a huge pot and freeze it in smaller portions to make it even easier. Also it means if visitors come by unexpectedly for lunch I can whip it out and have it bubbling away in no time.

Below are two super easy vegetarian recipes for soup. They are a good way of introducing pulses to your diet if you haven't eaten many of them previously. In winter I always add extra onions, garlic and fenugreek and to date Aviva and I haven't had a cold or flu in nearly a year (I also think our very low consumption of sugar helps as well)

Split pea soup

8 c. water
2 c. split peas
1 onion chopped (I added a few chopped garlics as well)
3 carrots chopped
3 ribs of celery chopped
1 bay leaf
salt to taste

Put all into a crock pot in the morning on medium high. It is done by late afternoon!


Lentil soup

1 c. lentils
1/3 c. rice
1 1/2 qts. water
1 big can of chopped tomatoes
2 grated carrots
1 chopped onion
Salt & Pepper to taste
Pinch or two of cayenne pepper
1 t. oregano & 1 bay leaf


Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, then add soy sauce to taste and let cook another 15 minutes.

Sorry there are no photos, something is wrong with my camera and the photos aren't looking very good at all.

2 comments:

java girl said...

Bonnie,

This soup looks great. MMMMmmmm. I am going to have to try some of this receipes!!

Your comment about a husband and children made me have a big old smile :O)

Have a gret day!

Deanna said...

Dear Bonnie, I hope you don't mind me popping in and saying hello...I'm Ashley's mom and am working at thinning down as well.

Huge congrats on your success at weight loss.

I started on the first day of summer by stopping to drink coffe and then altering my food intake with veggies and cottage cheese.

10 days on then 4 days with some beef and bread. Back to more veggies. 10 pounds has come off...a ways to go! This week I can have turkey and more fruit.

I cheer you on as you walk and live the Christian life! True blessings come from God when we walk uprightly before him,
d from homehaven

Related Posts with Thumbnails