Monday, 29 December 2008

Summer vegetables


The solitary cucumber, after the rest died.

The marigolds which really brighten the whole garden up!

The courgettes which I simply cannot keep up with because they grow so quickly.
I love summer!I love the floaty, feminine skirts I can wear, I love hot days at the beach having picnics, I love the break from normal homeschooling so I can teach Aviva more practical skills and this year I love it even more because my garden is full of vegetables. I planted about thirty tomato plants and now they are all bearing small green fruit. I have been able to make huge salads every night and in a few weeks I will begin preserving and drying msot of it. I think back to only a few months ago when lettuces were selling selling for five dollars each at the super market! I had run out of ideas for the courgettes though until I found this recipe which I have adapted, it makes a great Vegetarian dish as it is high in protein.
Baked Courgettes
4 Courgettes
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup grated cheese
2 eggs
Seasonings
Grate courgettes and chop onions and add to lightly beaten eggs.Spoon into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes at 200 degrees.
Serves four
Note: The original recipe had only 2 courgettes so for a heavier dish you can omit the two I have added.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails