Thursday, 18 June 2009

Role models

I don't really think I thought much about role models for my daughter in her early years (fictional or otherwise). I wish now I had spoken more about certain attributes that Godly women I knew possessed however since I didn't become a Christian until my daughter was nearly four and spent most of my spare time in various feminist groups that I was the leader of in some cases (I think that this is another post entirely) so finding Godly role models wasn't quite top of the list of my priorities.

Now that I know what I do I can say with absolute conviction that it is never too early to start verbally expressing admiration for Godly ,feminine character traits in other women and that includes fictional characters as well. Aviva's role model is Anne of green gables both in the books and DVDs, she even dresses just like her with straw hats, long cotton petticoats under pretty dresses and neatly braided hair. This produces teasing from some other children but Aviva just doesn't care. In a society that teaches girls to look up to celebrities such as Hannah Montana (which ironically is someone who my six year old niece looks up to greatly) wearing long beautiful dresses and acting femininely is out of the ordinary.Anne was definitely not a shrinking violet and she always stood up for what was right, she was brave and inspiring and perhaps that is what mostly attracts Aviva. Below I have put two photos of both Anne and Hannah Montana to just contrast them and show what the world tells us is beautiful.



There is no denying that Hannah Montana is an attractive girl but Anne is truly lovely.I would be interested to know who your or your daughters female role models are and why?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that is wonderful that your daughter's role model is Anne of Green Gables! That says so much about how you parent her! What a great job you have done! And what a contrast to Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus who always seem to try to be looking sexy. My daughter's friends are all into Hannah Montana, and these are church kids. I don't let my daughter watch it, but she has watched it at other friend's houses before. I absolutely hate that she loves Hannah Montana. To me, she is a horrible role model. She dresses and acts inappropriately in my opinion. I hope that my daughter can find a good role model that she would want to be like. I sure don't want her to think of Hannah Montana as her role model!

Unknown said...

I should have mentioned that when I say the kids are "church kids", I mean that they have Godly Christian parents and go to a good Bible believing church. Sad to say, it seems like it is hard to find many Christian parents who really monitor what their kids watch on tv. I don't know of anyone who is strict about it, which is frustrating.

java girl said...

It just goes to show you that true beauty is found in the heart and soul of a woman and not in the lack of a front on a dress or length of a skirt. It is sad that so many girls have believed the lies (me being one of them) that it is looks that make a woman and not the gentle nature, love and tenderness, and then healthy amounts of Godly sass :O)

Bonnie, this is a great post! I love that you put both pictures up. OH how I LOVE ANNE OF GREEN GABELS. I think it is time to bust out my old VHS of these that I've had since I was about twelve and watch them again! That makes me happy :O)

java girl said...

Bonnie,

Thank you for your prayers. I really do need them right now. It is a bit of a rough patch. You words are sweet :O)

I love the fact that you would like to have EIGHT babies! Oh I'll keep praying that God works that out for you too :O) What blessings they are, truly :O)

Bonnie said...

Someone read my post (that I know) and called me up to say "Don't you know Hannah Montana is a christian and shame on you Bonnie for putting her down: Hmmmm.....

Unknown said...

A whole lot of celebrities have claimed Christianity over the years. Britney Spears was one of them, along with Jessica Simpson. Both were touted as being pure, even though they dressed extremely provocatively, and it was mentioned over and over that they were saving themselves for marriage. Well, both of them have fallen off the deep end big time, and are certainly not role models at all. Miley Cyrus actually started out fairly innocent looking, but has since started partying and dressing very sexy. She did the photo shoot where she was naked (although nothing was shown), and seems to be showing more and more skin. It is really sad.

java girl said...

Bonnie,

Thank you for taking the time to lift me up in prayer! You are such a dear and sweet lady. Sometimes life just happens and it can be bump in the road. I get a little paniced when I realize that I live in such a small town with like 0% single Godly men. But I know that since GOD created the WHOLE UNIVERSE well then he sure can make things happen when it is his time! How are you holding up?? How is winter shaping up for you and your sweet girl?

Related Posts with Thumbnails